Monday, September 01, 2008

76'ers Meet At Homecoming

I recently had the opportunity to preach the 60th Anniversary Homecoming at Mt. Zion New Congregational Methodist Church in Macclenny, Florida. It was a great day of music, food, fellowship, making new friends and rekindling old friendships. Oh, yes, there was even a little preaching too.

Pastor Tim Cheshire and his wife Susan (pictured with me at left) made me feel right at home. I even had the opportunity to see three ladies that graduated with me in 1976 from Baker County High School, then located in Macclenny. Our graduating class was the "Spirit of 76"! It had been so long since I had seen them that they had to introduce themselves to me. For some reason they remembered me, although I'm not sure how. It was great to talk to them again after so many years and learn how the Lord has worked in their lives. I was able to convince the ladies to have a photo taken of our 76'ers group. Pictured left to right are: Karen Sue Lauramore Matthews; June Davis Altman, yours truly, and Mary Faye Davis Griffin.

Homecomings can be a time to remember the past, but they should always be a time to worship our Lord and seek His Will for our future. If we give Him His rightful place in our heart and life we will certainly have an even greater homecoming celebration in the future!

I want to give a special thanks to Marie Johns for taking the photos.

No comments: