Friday, August 19, 2011

Recalculating, Recalculating

I picked up an unwanted object in one of my car's tires last week as I was on my way to visit a nursing home in Lake City, Florida.  This "bolt" was about the size of a pencil and approximately 6 inches long!  My brother, John and his son Jay, came to my rescue even with the heat index hovering around the century mark.  They got me on the road again with that little "doughnut" spare tire.  Now, my plans had quickly changed as I headed to the store where my tires were purchased last October.  Two hours later I began the nursing home visit.

It's amazing how something so small can rearrange your day, and sometimes your life.  I mean, think about the "little" things that have caused you to change your daily activities and develop another plan.  It's kind of like making a wrong turn and hearing your GPS unit say, "Recalculating, recalculating."  I personally know these changes can, sometimes, completely throw us for a loop.  Let's look at some of the resulting "recalculations" brought on by this object in my tire.
  • How do I get to the tire store, after all there is no way I can change a tire.  "RECALCULATING"... I called my brother, and with God's timing, he was able to come to my rescue!
  • I had planned to pick up lunch at a drive thru and eat with my great-aunt at the nursing home.  "RECALCULATING"...  There was a take-out pizza place just a few feet from the tire store.
  • How much will this cost?  "RECALCULATING"... My warranty covered everything!
  • My nursing home visit and other errands will be delayed.  "RECALCULATING"... I spent more quality time at the nursing home than I had planned, and took care of the errands the next day.
Now, I know not every "recalculating" event we face is always painless, trust me, I've had my share of those too.  But, we also know the Lord has never let us down in the past, and He's not going to start now!  So, let's praise Him even when He's "RECALCULATING".


6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

No comments: