Saturday, December 04, 2004

A Winning Float


The City of Lake Butler Christmas Parade was held last night and the agency that I work for, New River Solid Waste Association, won First Place in the commercial division. I am the Assistant Director of Recycling & Education, so I get to do a lot of public relations events. The Christmas parades are a lot of fun and they give us an opportunity to remind the public about recycling too.

The theme of the parade was "A Storybook Christmas", so our float featured a recycling igloo in a rocking chair reading a book to little igloos. Of course the book was the Bible which contains the REAL Christmas story. Everything on the float is made from recycled materials.

A special "thank you" goes to my staff that spent quite a few hours building the float: David McKinney, Donnie King, Paul Johnson, Bartow Lee & Darrell Williams.

We will have the float in the Macclenny Christmas Parade tonight and in the Starke Christmas Parade next Saturday morning.

I think that my "day" job is very closely related to my ministry in that God expects Christians to be good stewards of His creation and recycling is one way to do that. I often say that I am a "total environmentalist" because my secular job is to see that your environment on Earth is the best it can be and my ministry is to see that your "environment" in eternity is the best it can be.

No comments: