Saturday, March 12, 2005

For Teachers & Christians Too!

I received the following in an e-mail today and I thought it was too good not to share with others. It may be a little humorous, but I think it contains a powerful message for all of us!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After being interviewed by the school administration, the eager teaching prospect said: "Let me see if I've got this right. You want me to go into that room with all those kids and fill their every waking moment with a love for learning. And I'm supposed to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and even censor their T-shirt messages and dress habits."

"You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, check their backpacks for weapons of mass destruction, and raise their self-esteem."

"You want me to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship, and fair play, how and where to register to vote, how to balance a checkbook and how to apply for a job."

"I am to check their heads for lice, maintain a safe environment, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, offer advice, write letters of recommendation for student employment and scholarships, encourage respect for their elders and future employers."

"And I am to communicate regularly with the parents by letter, telephone, e-mail, newsletter, and report card."

"All of this I am to do with just a piece of chalk, a computer, a few books, a bulletin board, and a big smile AND on a starting salary that qualifies my family for food stamps!"

"You want me to do all of this, and then - you expect me NOT TO PRAY?!"


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pray for and offer encouragement to all of our teachers and students. Let's also pray that one day prayer is allowed back in our schools again.

Who knows, after you've prayed - the Lord may want you to contact a school board member, a legislator, a member of Congress or the White House and share your views on school prayer with them. Sometimes our prayers need to grow some feet - you know what I mean?

No comments: