Tuesday, July 29, 2008

First Baptist Of Macclenny Services Bring Back Memories

Pictured left to right: Minister of Music Tim Wilder, Deacon Mike Griffis, Evangelist James Croft, Trustee/SS Teacher Cherill Mobley.

This past Sunday I had the honor of preaching at First Baptist Church of Macclenny (Florida) for the first time. Pastor Edsel Bone and his family had taken a vacation and he entrusted me with his congregation for the day. I had a great time of fellowship, reminiscing about my younger days and sharing the Gospel.

Minister of Music Tim Wilder made me feel right at home as we prepared for the service. The music service and his leading the music certainly made preaching much easier. In fact, everyone on the staff and the members helped to calm my nerves with their friendliness.

I soon learned that Cherill Mobley (a.k.a. Wayne Stetson) would be introducing me during the service. Cherill and I both worked at WBKF 92.1 FM (now WJXR) in Macclenny in the early 1980's. He and I became partners as promoters of the Lawtey Bluegrass Music Convention. The festival was held twice yearly in Lawtey, Florida and was at that time the longest running bluegrass festival in Florida. We ran the show for two years. During that time we became great friends and had a lot of interesting experiences traveling around Florida and Georgia advertising the festival. Cherill related some of those stories during his introduction. It brought back a lot of old memories and some laughs too. We did not have a contract concerning our partnership. We operated on a handshake. You know, the Bible does say to let your yes be yes and your no, no (Mat. 5:37). By the way, Cherill now teaches Sunday School and is a trustee at the church.

During the evening service I was introduced by Mike Griffis a deacon for the church. Mike and I go way back to our days at Baker County High School in Macclenny. We have remained friends throughout the years and he also serves as a District 4 County Commissioner for Baker County.

Years ago I'm sure that Cherill, Mike or myself would have never thought that we would all be serving the Lord in various ministries. It really was a great time ministering with them Sunday.

Before and after each service members of the church stopped by an exhibit about the JOY Box Ministry. I was able to share our 2007 JOY Box video with the congregation during the evening service. There seemed to be a lot of interest in the program. I also want to thank Sonja St. John for her assistance in minding the exhibit and answering questions.

The morning service of FBC Macclenny is carried live on WJXR radio each week. I was employed by the station (then WBKF) when it first came on the air in October of 1978. I had just finished my Associate of Arts degree at Lake City Community College and successfully passed the test given by the Federal Communications Commission for a Radio Telephone Third Class License with Broadcast Endorsement (this test is now no longer required). I was really excited about my first job as a country music DJ. I never would have thought that 30 years later I would again be heard on the station, but this time preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Lord has certainly blessed me over the years and used all of my jobs and experiences as preparation for this ministry.

You know the "old days" were good, but not nearly as rewarding and blessed as these days as a vocational evangelist!

No comments: