Friday, November 28, 2008

Update From Hospital

I'm coming to you "live" (sorta) from North Florida Regional Medical Center in Gainesville, Florida. It's been approximately 67 hours since the end of my revision hip replacement surgery. WOW! A lot has happened in those 67 hours.

Firstly, let me update you on the outcome of the surgery. Unfortunately, doctors encountered a couple of issues that will prolong recovery time, one being a hairline fracture in my femur bone. These things also caused an incredible amount of pain in the 24 hours following the surgery. The pain level has now dropped drastically and is now very manageable. Praise God!

I also lost enough blood during the surgery that I needed two units yesterday. This procedure caused me not to have physical therapy for the day. Only a minor delay.

Doctors have also informed me that I will not be allowed to place more than 10 pounds of pressure on my left leg for the nest 8 weeks. This will mean a much longer recovery time since I will not be able to walk "normally" for the next two months. I may be going to a rehab center after leaving the hospital for additional physical therapy. I'll post additional info on this site as it becomes available.

This may sound like really bad news, but, you may recall, that one complication that could have happened was a shattering and reconstruction of the femur. This would have meant no walking for three months. Praise the Lord, this didn't happen.

My surgeon, Dr. Mark Petty, has told me that this revision of a previous hip replacement looks very good. Another praise the Lord!

During these 67 hours we have also celebrated "Thanksgiving". God has showered me with blessings even while in the hospital recovering from surgery. Let me share some of them with you:

  • I have had wonderful medical services from doctors, nurses and other support staff. Everyone has been so nice to me and my family. Praise God for this blessing.
  • My family has been with me all along the way. Praise the Lord for this blessing.
  • I have been visited by many friends and received countless calls and e-mails from others. Praise God for this encouragement.
  • I have also been visited and called by many pastors that I have had the honor of ministering with in various services. Praise the Lord for these opportunities.
  • Many have sent financial donations to my ministry to assist with medical, ministry and routine bills at home. May God richly bless each one for their investment in this ministry.
  • Many, many prayers have been lifted up before the Lord on my behalf. I am so grateful for these prayer warriors. May God richly bless them for prayerfully investing in this ministry.
Our God is certainly awesome and worthy of all praise!

Read a previous post that provides more background information.

No comments: