Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Good News From My Surgeon

Nine weeks ago today I underwent a hip replacement revision surgery in Gainesville, Florida. The surgery was very extensive and also repaired a hair-line fracture in my femur. Yesterday my surgeon, Dr. Mark Petty, gave the go-ahead to begin placing 50% of my weight on that leg. This basically means I can begin standing straight and taking somewhat normal steps with a walker. This is "praise the Lord news"! If I have no pain with this process over the next two weeks I can go to 75% weight bearing with the aid of a cane. If this goes well, with no pain, I can begin bearing full-weight 1 to 2 weeks later and begin moving away from the cane altogether. I will also be able to drive again within the next 2-3 weeks. Did I happen to say, "praise the Lord"!!!

I want to thank you all for your prayers during my surgery, hospital stay and this recovery time. Please don't stop now. The doctor says these next four weeks will be the real test of whether the femur and all the bone grafting has healed and is working properly. If not, well, let's not think about that now. Let's pray that God's perfect will is done through this process and that His Son will receive honor and glory from it all.

During this four week "learning to walk again" time, I will also be preparing for my first two revival meetings of 2009. These will begin February 15th and February 22nd. Please pray for the preparations for these meetings.

I have had some "tough and trying" experiences since the middle of November. I know these times were not as bad as some have or are now facing, but don't they always seem worse when it's you? It is only by God's grace that I have made it through. I must confess that I'm still feeling the impact of some of these trials or tests and I ask you to continue to pray for me spiritually, emotionally, physically and financially. I also want to thank all of you that have been praying for me, sending cards & e-mails, and calling with words of encouragement. May God richly bless you for ministering to me. I know the Lord has blessed me with many friends, some of which have been so kind to listen to me when I just needed to talk or whine. 8-)

May God richly bless you all and I'll keep you posted as the recovery continues!

Previous hip surgery related posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James,
I had no idea. No wonder I didn't hear back from you. Know that I will keep you in my prayers for a continuance of a complete recovery and for His perfect will to be done within you.
Blessings,
Mary Jane D.S.