Monday, June 29, 2009

Rushing Wind Celebrates Anniversary

Rushing Wind, a Southern Gospel group, based in Macclenny, Florida celebrated 25 years in music ministry on Saturday night. The celebration gospel sing featured music by the group and from special guests Pure Heart of Jacksonville, Florida and His Four of Port Charlotte, Florida. I had the pleasure of serving as master of ceremonies for the evening. The event was hosted by Grace and Praise Ministries Church south of Lake City, Florida.

I remember when the group's leader Jimmy Hartley was with another Macclenny based group called The Kingdom Heirs. After they disbanded he formed Rushing Wind. I've had the pleasure of working with both of these groups dating way back before God called me to the evangelistic ministry. We've also been able to minister together since my ministry began in 1994. I remember traveling to Tallahassee, Florida on an October Sunday morning to preach a homecoming service at New Life Baptist Church. It was to be my first time preaching in that church and I didn't think I would know anyone. One of the first people to greet me was someone I had known for years, Jimmy Hartley. Rushing Wind was providing the special music for the service. Jimmy said, "if we had known you were coming you could have rode the bus over with us this morning." We both had a good laugh when I responded it would have been cheaper for me to ride their bus and saved my gas. Yes, my use of the word "pleasure" is certainly the appropriate description for our times ministering together.

Many singers have traveled with Rushing Wind over the years, many of these went on to sing with other groups, or in some cases to form a new group. One of the musicians lovingly described Rushing Wind as a "spin-off band" referencing how many of it's past members now lead other singing groups. The one constant in Rushing Wind has been Jimmy Hartley; although, I'm sure he would tell you that the Lord has been the "constant" and he has only been along for the ride.

In fact, Hartley stressed in a pre-sing prayer session and then again on stage that the night was all about glorifying God and the hope that a lost soul would be saved. This should be the purpose for every ministry undertaken by musicians, preachers and anyone else called by God to service. To be honest, I think that purpose is sometimes lost in a cloud of "busy" in ministry. I guess what I'm saying is, we can become so busy doing the Lord's work that we forget it is the LORD's work and not our own. We need to always be seeking God's "perfect will" for our ministry and life. If we are in His will, then our ministry focus will be too.

The celebration went well and who knows, we may do it again in 25 years. In the meantime, if you would like more information about Rushing Wind, call Jimmy Hartley at (904) 259-2344.

NOTE: Additional photos from the celebration may be viewed in this Rushing Wind photo gallery.

No comments: