Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Surgery Scheduled November 24th

As many of you know, I underwent a hip revision surgery in November of 2008 (see related posts).  Unfortunately, the problem of a "slipping" rod in my femur has returned, and with it, pain that makes walking difficult.  The problem appears to stem from a lack of bone grafting at the top of the rod in my femur.

My surgeon, Dr. Mark Petty, will perform another procedure on Tuesday, November 24th in hopes of correcting the problem.  If the option being considered works, I should be well on the road to recovery by the first of the year.  However, the doctor will make the decision during the surgery to try this option or proceed with another major reconstruction as was required last year.  If the latter occurs, the recovery will take several months.

I will most certainly appreciate your prayers in the weeks leading up to the surgery, the day of the operation, and during the recovery period.  I ask you to pray for our Lord's perfect will to be done.  Please ask for wisdom, clarity in thinking and discernment for Dr. Petty and all involved in the pre-op, surgery, hospitalization, and physical therapy.  Pray for me to have physical and emotional strength through the entire process.  I also ask you to pray for my finances during this time and the added burden of the medical expenses.  I have health insurance, but as you know, there are always co-pays, deductibles and uncovered expenses.  Pray for this ministry as I hope to have preaching opportunities up until surgery time and will initiate our JOY Box Ministry which will continue with the assistance of volunteers.

This surgery will be one year to the day from the last one, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  I told someone recently that the Thanksgiving lunch at North Florida Regional Hospital in Gainesville was so good... I made reservations again for this year.  8-)

I know God is in total control, but I must confess to being anxious, fearful, and a little "down" (no pun intended) at the thought of another major surgery.   It has been a long and very tough year in many areas of my life since the middle of last November, but I know God's grace is, and will once again be, sufficient.

Additional information will be posted on this blog and on Facebook as it becomes available.

No comments: