Tuesday, November 30, 2010

3,300 Miles For Christ

Way back in 2005 I received an encouraging note via my ministry website guest book from Nick & Lucy Della Valle of Breath of Christ Ministries in Leawood, Kansas.  We swapped e-mail addresses and began receiving each others e-mail newsletters.  No personal contact, only newsletters.

Fast forward to November 2008 when I was preparing to undergo a hip revision surgery.  I sent e-mails and letters to those on my list asking for prayer about the challenge and uncertainty ahead.  Many even responded with financial assistance to help with the medical costs and living expenses during the time of rehab.  Nick & Lucy, to my surprise, responded very generously.  I mailed them a thank you note, as I did with everyone else, but we still had no direct communication.

Now let's fast forward to two weeks ago.  My morning e-mail reading included Nick & Lucy's ministry newsletter.  The subject line stated they were in Jasper, Florida, not too far from my home in the metropolis of Olustee!  I knew we had to finally meet in person.  After a telephone conversation, we met for lunch in Live Oak.  Now, I must confess, either my memory is waning with age or I just didn't realize that we had something else in common.  Not just that we are Christians, evangelists, or co-laborers for the Lord, but we are all three little people!  Nick is 4'8" and Lucy is 4' and I come in at 3'10" (3'11" with the right shoes)!

We spent several hours together dining at a local Huddle House, mostly just sharing our travels and experiences of serving the Lord.  Of course, we gained much attention in the process.  We met again last week in Starke, Florida at the Western Steer Family Steakhouse as their walk for Christ took them up State Road 100.  I mention the restaurant names as a way of saying "thank you" to the nice servers who tolerated us parking at their table for several hours... several hours!

"Walk for Christ"?  Let me explain.

Nick is making a 3,300 mile walk for Christ.  His path winds through several states and will be ending in Florida in the next few weeks.  He walks in Biblical attire and draws a considerable amount of attention.  As people stop along the route and asks "what's going on", he is able to share the Gospel with them.  Nick calls it "responsive evangelism" - responding to the inquiries of others.  He walks 15 miles each day and then they park their home, an RV, for the evening.  Nick and Lucy also minister in churches along the way with Biblical storytelling complete with Biblical attire.  This is the couple's third 3,300 mile walk for Christ!

I really enjoyed meeting this couple that are so committed to serving the Lord in such a unique way.  I feel an earthly life-long friendship has been established and a Christian fellowship that will continue into eternity.  Please be in prayer for this couple as they walk for Christ, and that He will use them mightily to further His Kingdom!

By the way, if you happen to be traveling US Highway 17 South toward Deland, Florida today and you see Nick along the way, stop and say hello.

Romans 10:14-15 (NKJV)
14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:

      “ How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
      Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

For more information about Nick and Lucy visit the Breath of Christ Ministries website or follow them on Facebook: Nick's profile and Lucy's profile.

No comments: