Tuesday, October 04, 2011

One Of The Busiest Weeks Ever

As you may have noticed no new posts were added to this blog for several days last week.  To be honest it was a combination of "busy" and "fatigue" that kept me out of "blog mode" for a week.

New Oak Grove Baptist
The morning after the Baker County Sesquicentennial Celebration on Saturday, September 24th, I began preaching revival services at New Oak Grove Baptist Church near Alachua, Florida.  The services concluded Wednesday night.  I really enjoyed ministering with my good friend Pastor Terry Elixson.  Terry also serves on the JCEA Board of Directors.  If you live in the area and are searching for a church home, the folks at New Oak Grove Baptist will make you feel right at home.  The church is located at 18100 NW 262nd Ave. in Alachua, Florida.  For more information or directions call  (386) 462-3390.

The same Sunday the New Oak Grove services got underway, one of my third-cousins, Kenneth Owen of Olustee, passed away after a nine-month fight with cancer.  He was 66 years old.  I was honored to preach his funeral service on the following Friday morning. On Monday of that same week I received word that one of my first-cousins, Lamar Crosby of Jacksonville, had passed away unexpectedly at age 50.  I hope you will remember both of these families in your prayers.

Island Grove Baptist
Following Kenneth's funeral on Friday, I made my first trip to Island Grove Baptist Church to begin revival services that evening.  The services continued through this past Sunday night.  We had good attendance at each service and I enjoyed meeting Pastor Steve Matchett and making new friends.  Island Grove is located about 10 miles south of Hawthorne, Florida on Highway 301.  If you live in this area and are looking for a church home, visit with the folks at Island Grove Baptist Church.  The church is located at 20905 SE 219th Ave. in Island Grove, Florida.  For more information or directions call (352) 317-5525.

As you can see I had an extensive week of ministry opportunities and travel.  I did get a little rest yesterday, but spent some time making contact with Baker County churches and individuals about an issue to be discussed at a county commission meeting this afternoon.  The meeting will feature a discussion on an election referendum question for voters on allowing alcohol sales on Sunday in our county.  I hope to address the commission opposing this issue.

This week I am also preparing to preach a revival service on Friday night at Oak Grove Baptist Church north of Lake City and a pastor appreciation service on Sunday at Cedar Creek Church in Sanderson, Florida.  I hope to squeeze-in time to work on the design of a church website and a nursing home visit.

Maybe I'll rest next week??

No comments: