Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Should Tebow tone it down?

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (BP) -- Denver Broncos quarterback and former University of Florida football star Tim Tebow has been getting a lot of advice lately about how much he should be talking about Jesus.

In November former Bronco quarterback Jake Plummer said about Tebow, "I think that when he accepts the fact that we know that he loves Jesus Christ then I think I'll like him a little better. I don't hate him because of that, I just would rather not have to hear that every single time he takes a good snap or makes a good handoff ... like you know, I understand dude where you're coming from." In other words, Tim, tone it down.

Just before the turn of the millennium, another Christian quarterback, Kurt Warner, was the Cinderella story of the NFL. Never in the history of professional football had a player so rapidly ascended from unknown to Super Bowl champ and MVP. When the lights were shining the brightest and the platform was the largest, Warner seized the opportunity to boldly proclaim his faith in Jesus Christ to millions.

For a decade, through ups and downs, Warner was consistent in his bold public witness. During the postgame celebration of the 2009 NFC Championship, a game in which Warner led the Arizona Cardinals to victory, Warner declared before millions watching on TV, "Everyone's gonna get tired of hearing it, but I never get tired of saying it. There's one reason why I'm standing up on this stage today…that's because of my Lord up above. I gotta say thanks to Jesus. You knew I was gonna do it; I gotta do it."

So one would think that if anyone is excited about Tebow's bold witness, it would be Warner, right? Well, not necessarily. Not long after Plummer's comments, Warner weighed in on the issue with the Arizona Central's Dan Bickley: "Put down the boldness in regards to the words, and keep living the way you're living. Let your teammates do the talking for you. Let them cheer on your testimony." Again ... tone it down, Tim.

Read more of this article on Baptist Press.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A few things I don't understand in this world, 1)Preachers that greet you as you're leaving church but are absent when you get there. 2)The fame of Bob Dylan. 3)People that hate Tim Tebow. Live and let live huh? If I could tell him anything it would "GO TIM GO!! BY ALL MEANS, PRAISE THE NAME OF JESUS TO ALL WHO WILL LISTEN AND EVEN SOME WHO WON'T!" As for the master of this blog, aren't you just the cutest thing! God bless ya