Monday, September 04, 2006

Lunch Blessing

Sunday morning I preached a couple of services at Elim Baptist Church in Fort White, Florida. After the services I went to the Texas Roadhouse in Lake City, Florida for lunch. After completing my meal I was informed by the waiter that my bill had already been paid by someone. The waiter said the man had not only paid the bill, but also included a tip. I have no idea who this mystery donor is, but I have asked the Lord to bless him for blessing me.

After lunch I went to Wal-mart where an elderly gentleman, seated on a motorized scooter, outside the door, gave me a friendly "hello". I didn't know him, but I shook his hand and returned the greeting. He asked me if he could get a dollar from me for something to eat. I thought, a dollar would not go far, but I reached for my wallet to see what I had. Wouldn't you know it, I only had two bills, a $20 and $50 (I don't normally carry that much cash). I must admit I hesitated for a moment and then a thought raced through my mind, "someone just bought your lunch..." I then handed the man the $20 bill and as he thanked me I turned to walk away. He then noticed how much I had given him and began to shout "God bless you! God bless you!"

Some people might read this true story and say, "There are no free lunches". I prefer to think that God sent someone to bless me by paying my bill and then expected me to return the blessing to someone else by paying a bill for them. I guess that's not too much to ask, after all, Jesus paid the price for my sins on the cross. He also paid the price for you too.

1 Corinthians 6:20 (NKJV)
For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.

No comments: