Friday, July 20, 2007

Communion On The Moon

NOTE: I remember the first steps on the moon even though I was only 11 years old, but I never knew about the Lord's Supper being taken on the moon until I read my devotion today. I honestly thought I knew all about that mission, having followed it so closely an reading all about it. I even have an LP Record set called "Man on the Moon" narrated by Roy Neal of NBC News that includes recordings from various parts of the lunar mission.

Our Daily Bread

READ: Psalm 139:1-12

If I ascend into heaven, You are there. —Psalm 139:8

Apollo 11 landed on the surface of the moon on Sunday, July 20, 1969. Most of us are familiar with Armstrong’s historic statement as he stepped onto the moon’s surface: “That’s one small step for a man; one giant leap for mankind.” But few know about the first meal eaten there.

Buzz Aldrin had brought aboard the spacecraft a tiny communion kit provided by his church. Aldrin sent a radio broadcast to earth asking listeners to contemplate the events of that day and to give thanks.

Then, in radio blackout for privacy, Aldrin poured wine into a silver chalice. He read, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit” (John 15:5). Silently, he gave thanks and partook of the bread and cup.

God is everywhere, and our worship should reflect this reality. In Psalm 139 we are told that wherever we go, God is intimately present with us. Buzz Aldrin celebrated that experience on the surface of the moon. Thousands of miles from earth, he took time to commune with the One who created, redeemed, and fellowshiped with him.

Are you far from home? Do you feel as if you’re on a mountaintop or in a dark valley? No matter what your situation, God’s fellowship is only a prayer away. Dennis Fisher

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be. —Anon.

God’s presence with us is one of His greatest presents to us.

For similar resources, search these topics:

Relationships > Relating to God > Presence

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks i didn't know that they had communion on the moon .

God Bless You