Saturday, September 15, 2007

Olustee, Lake Butler, Valdosta And All The Trimmings

This week has been exceptionally busy for me, so I haven't had the time to catch you up on some of the week's activities. Here's some of the highlights:

Instant In Season And Out Of Season
Sunday morning I received a call around 8:30am from Pastor Mike Williams of First Baptist Church of Olustee. He had been ill for a couple of days and still wasn't in top form and asked me to preach the morning worship service. This is the church that I "grew up" in (see related article) and I'm glad I was available and able to help. We had a wonderful service (in spite of the preaching) with a lot of people coming to the altar during the Time of Decision. This may sound strange (those in ministry will understand), but it's not always easy preaching where you know everyone so well and long before you entered ministry. I must say the Lord certainly blessed the service. The short notice for the event brings into clarity the scripture in 2 Timothy 4:2, "Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching."

The Home Church
On Sunday night I preached the evening service at my home church, First Baptist Church of Lake Butler. My pastor, Jason Johns, often gives me the opportunity to minister to the fine folks in Lake Butler. This was also the first Sunday for our new Worship Pastor, Steven Wells, so it was good to hear him action.

Enrichment In Valdosta
I preached a Senior Adult Enrichment Seminar Monday-Wednesday at Crossroads Baptist Church in Valdosta, Georgia. This was a first for me because the services began at 11am followed by a fellowship luncheon each day. I drove back and forth each day, but the smiles were well worth the miles. I was blessed just by meeting them all. It was wonderful ministering to this group that is lead by the church's Senior Adult Pastor Charlie Scarborough (pictured at right). I have known Bro. Charlie for several years. He and I have something in common in that he onced lived in Olustee, Florida too. Although he was here and gone a few years prior to my birth. Now, I'm not saying you're old Bro. Charlie. 8-)

Several years back while doing a Vacation Bible School with the Olustee Praise Team at Bethany Baptist Church in Hahira, GA, I met Bro. Charlie. Since that time I have had the honor of ministering in three churches that he has served, Morven Baptist, Barney First Baptist and now Crossroads Baptist. It was great to fellowship with him again.

Pictured below left to right: Crossroads Baptist staff members Dee Bondurant - Worship Pastor; Ross Cook - Student Pastor; Dr. Ken Alford - Senior Pastor; Evangelist James Croft (brightening the room with the shirt from Ghana); and Rick Parker - Education/Administration Pastor. Bro. Charlie Scarbrough was ministering to some senior adults during the time this photo was taken.


The Newspaper Article That Keeps On "Walking"
I met a gentleman at the first Valdosta service that attends another area church, Westside Baptist Church. His name is Rae Lawson and he approached me with a copy of a newspaper article from April 2003. It was the Florida Times-Union story called "Walking With The Giant" by Jon Fletcher. My stars alive! That was over four years ago and I guess it's still "walking". The story was also accompanied by an online flash presentation. Thanks Bro. Rae for allowing me to meet you.

Good Friends Are For A Long, Long Time
While at Crossroads Baptist I was able to see a couple of dear friends. Jimmy Miley, a barber in the Valdosta area, was able to attend the Monday service. I met Jimmy several years back at Bethany Baptist in Hahira and he always shows up when I'm preaching in the area. I guess he's a glutton for punishment. I also was able to visit with a man that I have not seen in 20-25 years. Bill Newcomb at one time played bluegrass music with Stateline Blugrass Boys and Azalia City Bluegrass. We met at a bluegrass event and a friendship was formed between us and fellow band member Robert Byington. I booked their group on at least two occasions for events in Macclenny, Florida when I worked with Radio Station WBKF-FM (now WJXR). A photo of me, wearing a "huge" cowboy hat, and the Stateline Bluegrass Boys is a part of the online flash presentation by Jon Fletcher mentioned in the section above. Well, Bill attended the Wednesday service. It was very exciting to see him after so many years. It was even more exciting to learn that he is now in a ministry too! He is president of Partners For A Better World which is a prison ministry. We may now work together on some ministry opportunities.

One Red Rose
Each day after the service and lunch, Bro. Charlie had arranged for me to speak at an area nursing home. The first day we visited with the folks at Fellowship Home in Brooks County. The next day we went to Langdale Place in Valdosta. The final day was at Baptist Village in Lake Park. At Baptist Village I met a couple of folks that were from Florida. One lady was from White Springs and a gentleman was from my mother's hometown, Wellborn, Florida. Before I left Baptist Village they passed out a beautiful rose to each resident. One of the lady's gave hers to me before I left. I told her it was much prettier with her, but she insisted I take it. What a blessing!

David Meets Goliath
On the last day at Crossroads Baptist, I spoke during the chapel service at their school. This was a day where David met Goliath again! I spoke to the children about allowing God to help them with the "giants" in their life. I played the part of Goliath (since I'm so tall) and one of the boys was David. I had a great time and hopefully the children did too. I really appreciate Principal Kay Hiers giving me the opportunity.

Here are a couple of photos from the chapel service.

The "giant" looks down on David.

Passing out smooth stones to some of the children.

Whew! I hope I didn't wear you out with such a long post. It's kind of like my sermons isn't it? 8-)

No comments: