Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dungy Sees Return to Colts as Chance to Share Faith

Super Bowl Champion Coach Tony Dungy, who announced Monday that he will continue as head coach of the Indianapolis Colts, said his return is a chance to continue his ministry.

After the Colts’ loss to the San Diego Chargers in the divisional playoffs last Sunday, Dungy spent a week talking and praying with family members and friends to decide on whether he should return to football or retire.

On Monday, the deeply religious Dungy, who has published a memoir on how his Christian faith has affected him on and off the field, said he felt coaching was the best pulpit for his message.

"I enjoy my job, the players, the staff we have here and Bill (Polian) and Jim," Dungy told reporters. "But it is a platform and that's something I talked to my wife and pastor about. I said 'I could stop and start a ministry, but I might not have a platform like this.'"

"I look at this as a job," he said, "but I also look at it as a ministry ... I might not have as effective a ministry as I have right now."

Read more of this story on The Christian Post.

No comments: