Monday, February 09, 2009

Preaching Again Was Good

Yesterday was 10 weeks and 5 days since I underwent hip replacement (hip revision) surgery. It was also the first day to begin the transition from using a walker to a cane, thus allowing more weight to be placed on the repaired hip and leg. Most importantly, it was the first time for me to return to the pulpit and preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Boy, was I excited and boy, was I nervous!

In offering me the ministry opportunity, Pastor Johnny Raulerson of Raiford Road Church in Macclenny, Florida said it would provide a "tune-up" for my first revival engagement to begin next Sunday. He was right. I preached services at 8:15am, 11am and 6:30pm.

I had prayed and prepared two messages for the day. As the first service got underway it became clear to me that I was about to preach the wrong message. All of the music went perfectly with the sermon I had prepared for that evening. I prayed and prayed during the song service and realized I had to reorder my plans to the plan God was laying before me. I'm glad that I did, because the Lord gave me a wonderful liberty to preach and then He worked mightily during the Time of Decision!

Physically I felt very good during both of the morning services. I attended a birthday celebration at 2pm in at a Lake City nursing home for a great-aunt and then it was back to Macclenny for the night service. I was rather tired by the time I approached the pulpit to begin the sermon that was originally scheduled for that morning. I think God used the message, but I was very tired by the end of the service. My muscles in my hip really ached. It really was a test of my stamina and a good "tune-up". I can tell that I'm still not 100%, but I'll be there soon!

My good friend and photojournalist, Jon Fletcher, attends Raiford Road Church with his family and was present for the services. He took several photos from the morning service and you can view them in this photo gallery.

I really enjoyed my time ministering and fellowshipping with everyone at Raiford Road Church. This church has held a special place in my heart since I entered the ministry. I'll share some exciting news with you in the days to come about a joint venture between this church, my home chuch - First Baptist of Lake Butler, and some others.

Yesterday was certainly a great day! It felt great to be back doing what the Lord called me to do - Preach the Word!

Oh, one more exciting thing happened this past weekend, on Saturday, I drove my car for the first time since my surgery. Look-out world, here I come!!! 8-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you up there again.

Anonymous said...

GOD IS GOOD!!! HE LOVES YOU PAPA! FOR THAT I KNOW SO WELL! JUST KNOW THAT HE IS YOUR CONFIDENCE IN ALL THINGS.
LOVE YOU!

MARON
(GHANA)