Friday, January 28, 2011

Reading For Literacy Week

I participated in Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! activities this week by reading to 5th grade students at Keller Intermediate School in Macclenny, Florida yesterday.  The book teachers chose for me to read was "You Are Special" by Max Lucado.  After completing the book I had a great question & answer time with the students.  The students asked a wide range of questions about the theme of the book, my life experiences as a little person, and even about my careers and ministry.  The students engaged in a great discussion about how we should treat others, how we want others to treat us, and not being a "bully".  One of the four classes involved even wanted me to perform "stand-up comedy" for them after learning that I had "attempted" that career and performed at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee.  We had a blast!

I hope the Lucado book and our discussions helped the children realize that we are all special in God's eyes in spite of our physical, mental, and personality differences.  It reminds me of Psalm 139:14:

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
         Marvelous are Your works,
         And that my soul knows very well

No comments: