Tuesday, March 01, 2011

A Living (Kidney) Stone

I had a "first" in my ministry on Sunday morning.  It was the first time I have arrived at a church to preach and was unable to do so due to a health issue.  The problem- a kidney stone.  Those of you that have experience with these powerful stones can appreciate what I was feeling.  I've been told the kidney stone experience for a man is similar to the pain felt by a woman giving birth.  I really feel for the mother's of our world.  Now, this is not my first experience with a kidney stone.  In 1984 I was rushed to the Emergency Room in Lake City, Florida thinking I was going to die and kind of wishing I could.  Fortunately, the problem "passed" while I was in the ER.

In 2008 when I was undergoing hip surgery.  A routine scan revealed I have a very large stone in my left kidney.  I was sent to a urologist after the surgery and learned that the stone is, indeed, quite large.  The doctor asked if I was familiar with a .22 caliber cartridge and said the size is similar.  He said this one will not "pass".  I hope not!!  It was decided to take no action as long as there was no pain and no movement of the stone.  This strategy has worked well until Sunday morning.

I awoke Sunday morning to prepare for a day of ministry at Morriston Baptist Church in Morriston, Florida feeling a dull ache in my left kidney area.  As I began the one-and-a-half hour drive the pain increased.  I began to call a few friends for prayer.  I also contacted the church of the development, but told them I still planned to preach.  At one point, I even had to stop on the side of the road.  I finally made it to the church in tremendous pain.  Please note the emphasis on "tremendous".  Ten minutes before the start of the 8:30am service I decided I needed to go the hospital.  One of the kind members of the church took me to the ER at Tri County Hospital in Williston.  The staff at the hospital were awesome and soon brought me some blessed relief via medication!  We returned to the church as the 11am service was closing much to the surprise of many of the members.  I was able to preach the 7pm service and drove back home, all pain free.

I really appreciate the prayers, concern, and assistance by the fine folks at Morriston Baptist.  I also thank the Lord for the dear brother that "was instant in season and out of season", and stepped in to handle the two services.  God's people are awesome, aren't they?!?!

I am scheduled to see my urologist on Thursday afternoon and I'm praying that I have no further problems.  I know there will be a point when a procedure will be required to remove the stone.  I would much rather the Lord perform a miraculous procedure to make it disappear, if it is His Will.

I would also appreciate your prayers, because I am scheduled to fly to Spartanburg, South Carolina on Saturday for a revival meeting at Cudd Memorial Baptist Church.

Did I happen to say that I would much appreciate your prayers?!?!

NOTE: I know believers are like "living stones", but I would prefer that not to include kidney stones!

4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.  (1 Peter 2:4-5 NKJV)

No comments: