Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Armed Or Unarmed?

Have you ever had one of those "chance" encounters that makes you praise the Lord for having you right where you needed to be?

Sunday afternoon, one of my cousins, Kevin Owen, and I were at a nursing home in Lake City visiting our 97 year-old great-aunt. After leaving her room I was approached by a young man that addressed me as "Brother James." He began to share with me about attending a 6 week soulwinning class that I lead for youth at Eastside Baptist Church in Lake City. To be completely honest, I remembered teaching the class, but sadly not his name. There were approximately 14-18 youth in the class. However, this story isn't about how "short" my memory has become, but about his sharp memory.

He said he remembered me telling the class that it was very important to use your "sword", the Bible, when witnessing to others. He went on to remind me that I urged them not to carry a big Bible with them, but a small "dagger" that could be concealed in their pocket or purse. The larger Bible could scare off their prospect before having the opportunity to share the Gospel with them. The small New Testament would still provide them with all the scripture needed to lead someone to Christ and could be quickly produced when needed.

He mentioned that I had purchased a small sharing New Testament for each member of the class. I remembered making the purchase, the store that I purchased them from and how excited some of the class members were when I passed them out toward the end of the series. It was at this point that my heart was blessed more than I am able to convey to you with my feeble writing skills. As he was recalling these events, he reached into his back pocket and produced the New Testament that I had presented to him. He told me that since that night he has carried that little "dagger" with him everywhere he went. WOW! I was blown away by this! I mean, some folks never leave home without their cell phone, but rarely do they take a Bible everywhere they go. By the way, did I mention that the soulwinning class he spoke of was held in February and March of 2000! That's been over 8 years ago!

I have no idea if anyone has been led to the Lord by this young man using his "dagger", but the numbers are not the important part of this story. What is important is his faithfulness to go into the world armed with the only weapon he will need, a small New Testament that can be concealed like a dagger and brought out at a moment's notice. A very wise retired pastor and evangelist once told me, during a "dry season" in my ministry, that God didn't call me to be successful, just to be faithful. And you know what? When we are faithful to do God's work and His Will, we ARE successful in His eyes.

I praise God that I had some small role in preparing a young man for faithfulness by arming him with a book that is "sharper than any two-edged sword." I'm even more thankful that the young man has been faithful to carry his "sword" over the years.

How prepared are you? Are you faithful to go into the world each day "armed" for any opportunity the Lord may place in your pathway? How well do you know your "weapon"? Read it, study it, don't leave home without it, and most of all, be prepared to use it!

No comments: