Friday, March 23, 2007

Was It Something I Said?

NOTE: This is a follow-up to a couple of previous stories that have been posted on this site. It is a very long article, but filled with much information for Christians and those identifying themselves as homosexuals. I believe, we need to know the Word of God and stand by it. The previous posts links are listed below.


Continuing to Think About Homosexuality


By R. Albert Mohler, Jr.

Christian Post Guest Columnist


Well, never doubt the power of the media. My recent article on homosexuality ignited a firestorm in the public square. Why? We may never know – but the controversy represents both a challenge and an opportunity.

I must admit much frustration about the way many in the media have handled the issue. Headlines proclaimed "Seminary President Says Babies Born Gay" – something I neither believe nor said. Other articles and reports claimed that I suggested that homosexuality may be genetic in origin and that genetic therapies should be used to create customized and corrected babies. I never even mentioned genetic therapies or germ-line experiments, and I am adamantly opposed to genetic therapies of such a sort – real or hypothetical. Reading these reports and headlines was a painful and exasperating experience. If I believed those things attributed to me, I would not agree with myself and would condemn myself.

I am even more frustrated with many conservative Christians who read the secular headlines without even bothering to read my article. They jumped to conclusions that I do not hold and castigated me for advocating things I have opposed all my life. I have received a great deal of hate mail from those identifying themselves as homosexuals outraged that I believe homosexual acts to be unconditionally sinful. But I also received mail that can only be described as hateful from those who identified themselves as Christians – people who clearly had never read my article and simply jumped to conclusions or accepted misrepresentations. Furthermore, some who identified themselves as Christians spoke of homosexuality and homosexuals with hate-filled language that literally made me shudder. Do we really love sinners? Do we not understand ourselves to be sinners saved by grace?

Read the entire opinion on The Christian Post.

Related posts:

Ex-Gay Backs Mohler: Homosexuality is a Sin

Evangelical Leader Responds to Attacks on Gay Baby Article

No comments: