Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Pre-op Completed

I completed the pre-op with my doctor and hospital yesterday for the surgery scheduled November 24th.  The surgeon, Dr. Mark Petty, said the x-rays showed no change or worsening in my hip condition (this is good); although, the pain is increasing.  Dr. Petty plans to insert cadaver bone for grafting at the top of my femur.  A substance that will help promote grafting will also be utilized.  The goal is for the rod in my femur (implanted during the surgery last year) to be stabilized by the grafting, which should (hopefully) eliminate the pain.  The presence of pain seems to indicate the femoral rod is "loose".  This is, obviously, not the proper medical terminology, but it's the best explanation I can offer at this point.

The surgery is tentatively scheduled for 11am on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving at North Florida Regional Medical Center in Gainesville, Florida.  It is estimated the surgery will last 2-4 hours.  If there are no complications, I will stay in the hospital for three to four days and then be transferred to a rehab hospital for physical therapy.  Dr. Petty tells me, if all goes well, I will use a walker for about a month and then move back to using a cane.  If the femoral rod is slipping more than is currently thought, another rod will be implanted during the surgery and the recovery period will be greatly extended as it was last year.

Please join me in praying that the Lord's "Perfect Will" is done all along the way.  I have a revival meeting scheduled to begin January 10, 2010 in Bushnell, FL, so you know how I'm praying.  I do know God also knows about the meeting, after all, He led the pastor to call me.

NOTE: Click here to read past posts and future updates on my hip surgery.

No comments: