Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ten Commandments Battle Lacks A Fighter In Florida

I was elected to the Baker County (Florida) Board of Commissioners in 1984 at the ripe old age of 26. Over the next four years, I was educated on many different issues that face county and state government (especially rural county government). I must say, I never had to face an issue like the one currently faced by Dixie County (Florida) Commissioners (an even more rural county than Baker).

CROSS CITY -- To government officials, it was a simple request: A local business owner wanted to donate a monument of the Ten Commandments for the steps of the Dixie County Courthouse. (Read more of the story entitled "Nobody in Dixie joins faith fight")

Here's a story that appeared in the Dixie County Advocate in December: Ten Commandments Controversy Goes National.

I encourage you to pray that the commissioners will continue to take a stand for God. You know, you may also want to send them a note of encouragement on this issue.

By the way, I was "un-elected" to the Baker County Commission after one term, in 1988. 8-)

1 comment:

nsfl said...

How is it "taking a stand for God" to violate the Constitution?

Didn't Jesus say that "my kingdom is not of this world"?

Governments are religion-neutral in order to protect everyone: your freedom to express your religion and my freedom not to.